WeeWingedOnes Quote

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

More Practice With Rock Painting Meditation - Holy Spirit Prayer



I took out the Plaka paints again.  Though I was a bit more successful getting those nice round dots (maybe due to trying a different brush), I realized how I am so much more appreciative of the beautiful dot painted rocks I have seen.  It is much more difficult than it looks!

Today, I wanted to actually try to use the process of painting the rock as a devotional meditation.  I was thinking about how much the world needs the Holy Spirit right now to intervene in all our hatred and fear.  That is when I decided I wanted to somehow incorporate the symbolism of the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit on the rock.

My first challenge was to figure out how to get seven dots around the center--uneven numbers are harder to space.  After debating how to do it, I decide that making a smiley face with two eyes and three dots for the mouth might work.  Then, I added the one dot on either side to connect them.  It still required eyeballing some spacing, but it actually worked pretty well.

As I worked on painting the little rock, my mind did go all over the place.  To use rock painting as a meditation tool will require some practice.  But, I tried to stay focussed on the significance of those 7 dots, which were symbolic to me of the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit.  The simple prayer "Come, Holy Spirit" is what I used when I wanted to draw myself back to my intention.  When I look at that painted rock now, I am reminded of that little prayer.

You can see in the photos above that I did add the word "Practice" to the back of the first rock I did.  (Lettering with a brush is a whole other skill that requires lots of "practice" and those skill get rusty when they are not used.)

No comments:

Post a Comment